Contact: +91-9711224068
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Pediatrics and Neonatology

Vol. 5, Issue 1, Part A (2023)

A hospital based analytical observational study to assess CRP levels in children with acute bronchiolitis

Author(s):

Jyoti Gupta, Disha S Kumar, Kavya S, Kartheeka MG, Priyanka Meda and Ashwin Raghav Reddy S

Abstract:

Aim: This study was aimed at assessing the frequency of elevated CRP in children with acute bronchiolitis and at comparing the clinical characteristics, laboratory and radiological findings, antibiotics use, and outcome according to CRP levels.

Methods: This was a retrospective, cross-sectional, and analytical study where the medical records of all patients with a clinical impression of acute bronchiolitis who were admitted to the pediatric department for the period of one year were retrieved. During the study period, a total of 200 patients were admitted with a clinical presentation of acute bronchiolitis. 50 (25%) patients were excluded due to of unavailability of data of CRP levels. The remaining 150 (75%) patients were included in the study.

Results: 85 (53.34%) patients were males. The most common clinical presentation was cough (120 (80%) patients) followed by fever (105 (70%) patients). Antibiotics were used in 80% patients. 6% patients required intensive care, 2% had surgical intervention, 2% required endotracheal intubation, and 1 (1%) died. Patients with high CRP were older at presentation (p<0:0001) and had more fever (p<0:0001) and cough (P = 0:002), but lower hemoglobin level (p<0:0001) compared to those with normal CRP. Fever (P = 0:016) and hemoglobin level (P = 0:002) were independent factors.

Conclusion: Most children with acute bronchiolitis had high rate of elevated CRP values that did not correlate with the rate of bacterial coinfection. High CRP levels were found in older children, those presented with more fever and cough, and had a lower hemoglobin level despite that those factors were previously reported to be associated with disease severity and bacterial coinfection.

Pages: 37-41  |  339 Views  78 Downloads

How to cite this article:
Jyoti Gupta, Disha S Kumar, Kavya S, Kartheeka MG, Priyanka Meda and Ashwin Raghav Reddy S. A hospital based analytical observational study to assess CRP levels in children with acute bronchiolitis. Int. J. Pediatr. Neonatology 2023;5(1):37-41. DOI: 10.33545/26648350.2023.v5.i1a.36
Related Journals
Related Subscription Journals
International Journal of Pediatrics and Neonatology

International Journal of Pediatrics and Neonatology